Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Husband Thinks I've Gone Off the Deep End

I've gotten rid of 90% of the commercial cleaners in our house. Now, before you think I've decided to stop cleaning forever, I haven't (I wish!). Instead, I've replaced the commercial cleaners filled with bleach and other chemicals that can kill you with all natural ones. I've been reading the book called Healthy Child, Healthy World, and it has really made me think. If natural cleaners are cheaper and safer, why wouldn't I use them? So yesterday, I went to Publix and bought a gallon of vinegar, a big box of baking soda, a box of washing soda, and a bottle of liquid castile soap. Total cost? around $15.00. Then, I went to the dollar store and bought two spray bottles. Now, I can make an all-purpose cleaner with the washing soda and castile soap and a window cleaner with vinegar and water. Plus, my supplies will make numerous bottles. Right now, the only thing under my sink that says "Fatal if swallowed" is my dishwasher detergent. But, when that's gone, I'm going to try and make my own of that as well. If not, I'm going to buy a brand that contains no bleach or phosphates.

Now, Jeremy is laughing at me since he thinks I've turned into a health nut. I haven't, by the way, even though I have started buying more organic foods. I've just decided that there are some changes that we can make that will both save us money and be healthier for us. Trust me, we are by no means eating healthy all the time. (The boys just had some chocolate cake for dessert.) But I'm am being more conscious of what is on the ingredient list of the foods we're eating. The biggest thing I'm trying to cut out is high fructose corn syrup. It is in so much stuff, including bread! My grocery trips are taking longer now since I'm stopping and reading every label before I buy anything.

In case you're interested, here's the recipe for making your own all-purpose cleaner:

1 tsp washing soda
1 tsp liquid castile soap (I found mine at Publix, but Target carries it too)
4 cups hot water

Mix in 32 oz spray bottle and shake gently to dissolve. You can add essential oils or tea tree oil if you'd like. I didn't, since the only place that I know of that carries tea tree oil is Whole Foods, and there's not one near us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I am Shelley's friend and I am from Bremen so I am sure Jeremy knows me :) anyway I have been reading your blog some and good for you. I have been trying to make small changes as well. I do the no hormone in meat and milk. It gets expensive though. I also do the cleaner things you do. There are some things I just have to continue to use. Method has some good choices too, especially if you coupons. I try to make one change at a time, otherwise it gets overwhelming. We are worth it though. Keep blogging and have a good summer off.
tia bennett(reaker to jeremy)