Friday, May 1, 2009

Evaluations

Andrew had his hearing and speech evaluations this week. He showed some hearing loss in both ears during the hearing evaluation. The audiologist suspected it might be from fluid in the ears, since the tympanometer test showed his eardrums were not vibrating like they should. She suggested I call the pediatrician to see what we can do to get the fluid out. His speech evaluation went much better. The therapist said he's making all of the sounds he should when he babbles, so she doesn't think he needs any therapy now. She said that when we get the fluid out of his ears, he should really make a lot of progress. When I called the pediatrician, she wanted to put him on a course of antibiotics and then see how his ears are. She wants me to go back to Children's Healthcare for a retest, but I may see if we can just go to the pediatrician's office for another tympanometer test. If he fails that again, then I'm sure we'll have to make some more decisions.

Only twelve days left of school! The boys' summer vacation starts on May 21st. I have to work until May 26th. (Don't ask me my opinion about having to come back for one more post-planning day after Memorial Day.)

No comments: