Thursday, August 14, 2008

Things You Never Want to Have Happen

There are some things I have never wanted to have happen as a teacher. One, a child puking in a classroom. I understand it's something they can't control, but I have a very quick gag reflex, and I would puke right after them. I can't even handle my own kids' vomit. Two, one child hurting another seriously. I just don't want to have to try and explain it to a parent (or to the news media for that matter!). Three, having to call an ambulance for one of my students. That's never a good thing.

Unfortunately, number three happened today. Here's how it happened. I had my entire class in the hall for a bathroom break, and there were about three boys and two girls still in the bathroom. As I'm standing next to the line of students who are done, I hear this tremendous crash come from the boys bathroom. I knew immediately that the sink had fallen off of the wall, and I headed toward the bathroom ready to lay into someone. Suddenly, one of the boys comes running out saying, "Somebody did something!" As I'm trying to get more information from him, I look up to see another one of my students rounding the corner of the bathroom with blood pouring out of his arm. Immediately, I tell the first student to RUN and get the nurse. Thankfully, we have an RN in the building at all times. My assistant principal was coming across one of the hallways at the same time, and she must have heard me tell the child to RUN. She comes running, as I'm trying to make sure the bleeding child doesn't come out in the hallway where all of my students can see him. His arm looked really bad. The nurse comes and without even putting on gloves grabs a paper towel and puts pressure on the arm. (Something I guess I should have done, but I was in too much shock. One reason I'm not a nurse.) They take the child off to the clinic, while I try to get the rest of my kids settled down and in the cafeteria for lunch. After I had them at their table, I find out that the ambulance has been called for my student. I went quickly to check on him, and by the time I got back to the cafeteria, most of my class had convinced themselves that he had died. I got them settled down, and after recess when the tears had dried up, I gave them the "This is Why We Have Rules" lecture. I don't know what exactly he was doing in the bathroom, but I don't think he'll do it again. I also think seeing him with a huge bandage on his arm will speak louder than any words I could ever say to my class. They were pretty subdued this afternoon. The update I got from the nurse at the end of the day was that he had cut it all the way down to the bone. (What I had thought was a piece of sink stuck in his arm was actually his muscle hanging out! Another reason I'm not a nurse.) I have no idea how long he'll be at the hospital, or what kind of treatment he'll need, but it was certainly a memorable start to the year. Tomorrow's Friday, and hopefully we can make it through the day without the ambulance showing up!