Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Woman Who Needs to Get Off TV

You know how when you're driving, and you see a car accident, you can't look away. Well that's how I am with Jon and Kate + 8. This show is a total train wreck, yet I can't stop watching. For the uninitiated, J&K is about a couple and their 8 children, a set of twins and a set of sextuplets. I first saw them on a special TLC had about them a couple of years ago, and they seemed to be a very sweet couple who wanted to give their children a happy life. They showed Jon going off to work, and Kate bargain shopping and using coupons to make their dollars stretch as far as they could while working as a nurse on the weekends. Well, TLC gave them their own show, and they are now acting like "big reality stars". They now take skiing trips to Utah and stay in private cabins, the kids dress in identical GAP and Gymboree clothes, and both Kate and Jon have had cosmetic surgery. But yet, they still promote themselves as this humble family who struggles to make ends meet. Really? Jon doesn't even go to work anymore. Instead he "works from home". Sure he does. In the episode I watched last night, Kate took the girls to a pottery place to paint pottery. But instead of actually interacting with her children, she sits at a table painting her own pottery and making snide comments about how the little girls are painting. You know, those little girls who just turned 4. I thought what they painted was adorable. Plus, Kate freaked out about how they might get dirty. Did I mention she's a germophobe, and her kids don't play in the grass? Just on the driveway of their house. What a wonderful life. I think Kate loves the "idea" of being a mom, but when it actually comes down to the nitty-gritty of motherhood, she doesn't want to be bothered. There was one episode where all of the kids were sick, and all Kate could do is complain about how much extra laundry it made for her. Well, her and her helpers. She has someone come in once a week to fold the laundry, someone else to put it away, and a third person to do all of her ironing. Yet, she talks about how she always needs all of this help. Whatever. I'm not sure what she'll do when the kids stop being cute for TV, and they have to live a life like normal people.

And why do I keep watching? Well, like I said before, it's a total train wreck. But the kids are also very cute. One of the boys wears glasses, and I'm a sucker for a pre-schooler in glasses. I think they are too adorable!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never seen the show. Now, I don't think I ever will. I saw them being interviewed on the Today show last week and thought, "Anyone can handle that many kids when they have at least 2 full-time helpers around the clock!" The parents seemed spoiled and unappreciative. Thanks for the critique! Now I know why!