Wednesday, June 15, 2011

We've Been Released!

Today was Andrew's visit with the neurosurgeon.  It was a routine follow-up from his surgery three years ago.  While I was hoping we'd get the all-clear, all of the reading I had done said that they don't usually release patients until they are at least five.  So, I figured we'd have at least one more visit before we were done.  I was also slightly concerned because the back of Andrew's head was, for lack of a better term, lumpy.  If you look at the back of his head from the side, you can see where it indents.  I thought that might require some follow-up surgery of some sort which I was NOT looking forward to.

So, we were supposed to get to his appointment a half hour early at 10:40.  Unfortunately, we didn't quite make it.  First, I misjudged just how long it would take to get all the way to Scottish Rite.  We are a LOT further out than we used to be, and it's a longer trip to just get to 85.  Then, once we got into the parking garage, I found a space quickly, but walking out, I had what can only be described as a pregnancy brain cramp.  I was standing in front of the elevators trying to figure out if I need to go up or down, but then I saw a sign that said to follow the arrow to Meridian Mark Plaza.  I had never done that before, but I thought maybe I had gotten turned around in the garage.  (You have to remember it's been two years since I was there last.)  So, Andrew and I walked across the garage, across a walkway, and into a building I didn't recognize.  Probably should have been a clue.  But, I went in anyway.  After searching the info board for his doctor's name and not finding it, I came to the very logical conclusion that I was in the wrong place.  Back across the walkway, across the parking garage, and to the elevators again.  Once again, I stared.  Thankfully, a very nice man walked up and asked me if I was going up or down.  I had to be truthful and tell him I had absolutely no idea.  He helped me out, and we were actually able to make it to the right office building!  I still walked in 10 minutes before the appointment.

Now, the neurosurgeon's practice only has one doctor in the office at a time.  Wednesday is Andrew's doctor's day.  What that tells you is that if there are five people in the waiting room, you're automatically number six.  I always hated walking in when the place was full.  We came prepared.  I had juice, snacks, and a bag full of cars.  Andrew did great.  He played with his cars and made friends with a rotating cast of patients.  Because we waited, and we waited, and we waited.  I stayed pretty patient until one family that had come in after us and said their appointment time was 1:00 pm was called back BEFORE us.  By this time (12:20 pm), I was starving, and I had to go to the bathroom.  I hadn't wanted to leave the waiting room to go because I figured that that would be the moment we were called back.  But, after that family got called back, I finally went up to the receptionist to ask when we were going to be called.  She told me next (isn't that what they always say?), and I told her we had to step out, but we'd be right back. 

We finally made it back, and the PA came to see us first.  I told her I was a little concerned about the back of his head, and she said she'd mention it to the doctor.  She left, and we waited another half hour or so (by now it was after 1:00) for the doctor to come.  When he finally came in, he apologized for getting so far behind.  He said that they had a patient who came in from Louisana who they had to fit in and the exam took a long time.  I'm not sure how one patient could get them two hours behind, but whatever.  Anyway, he said that Andrew's head was healing exactly as expected, and it was probably never going to be completely smooth.  He was happy with his development, and so we are officially free!  We can always call if there are issues (which I doubt), but he doesn't think we need to come back.  Unless, it's for baby girl.  Apparently, there's a higher risk of craniosynostosis occurring with subsequent children.  Well, at least I'll know what to expect.  Let's see, this time I could spend Thanksgiving week at Scottish Rite.  :-)

No comments: