Friday, May 30, 2008

Am I Really this Lame?

I just spent the last hour and a half watching the National Spelling Bee. And a kid from Indiana just won!! Yay! (Hey, I have to celebrate something from Indiana!) The really scary thing is I actually recognized some of the words in the early rounds. The last few rounds? Not so much.

As I was watching, I realized that this would be perfect for Nathan, and I'm not just saying that cause I'm his mom. First of all, he loves words. Second, he can memorize better than anyone I've ever known. If he sees something once, he usually can repeat it back. Finally, he loves to cram useless information in his brain. Don't get me wrong. I completely admire these kids and what they have learned, but am I ever going to use the word "guerdon" anywhere? (BTW, it was the winning word. It means a reward. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/guerdon) I think I'm going to get Nathan started studying tomorrow. Got to pay for college somehow!

No comments: