Monday, December 31, 2007

No News Yet

I know now why parents of kids with chronic illnesses become such advocates. Doctors can be pains. I called the doctor's office this morning at 9, as soon as they opened, to get the results of Andrew's x-rays. The guy I talked to said they had the report, but the doctor hadn't looked it over yet. He told me that as soon as she finished with the patient she was with, she would look at the report and give me a call back. So I waited. And I waited. Finally, around 11, I called the office back. This time I talked to a lady who told me it was very hectic there, but the doctor would definitely get back to me by 12:30 or 1 at the latest since they were closing early. So I waited. And I waited. At 12:55, I decided to call again, because I didn't want to miss them. Unfortunately, they had already closed the office, and no one answered the phone. There wasn't even a paging service that I could talk to. I waited a little longer, and then I decided to call the hospital where they took the x-rays. I figured that even though it's a holiday the hospital never closes and somone there will talk to me. No deal. The person I talked to there said they don't give results to parents only doctors. Now, I understand that I'd need to speak with a doctor to understand all of the ramifications of a diagnosis, and what the next steps would be, but all I'm really looking for is a yes or no right now. Does he have this condition or not? Because if it's a no, I'll be a lot more comfortable while I wait for the doctor's call. Even if it's a yes, I would be OK. This not knowing at all is what is driving me crazy.

No comments: