Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sorry for starting every post with. . .

. . .It's been so long since I posted.  Really, it's not that I don't mean to neglect it, life just has a bad habit of getting in the way.  With baseball for Matthew, Cub Scouts for Nathan, potty training for Andrew, plus KidzLIfe at church, grad school coming down to the wire, and the school year winding down, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day.  Oh, and did I mention we're having a baby?  So, I have only about a quarter of the energy that I need.  (By the way, if you haven't heard, we have a new species arriving at our house.  Baby #4 will be a GIRL.  Not quite sure what we're going to do with one of those.)

I do keep telling myself that once the next 5 weeks are over, I'll have a lot more time.  And I will.  At least I won't be getting up everyday at 6 am and getting home at 4 pm (or 4:30).  Plus, there won't be another 2 or 3 hours of work ahead of me every evening.  (Like the two papers that are calling my name right now as I blog.)  And, I'll have more time to READ!!  Not books about Action Research, but books I actually want to read.  I'm trying to squeeze that in now, but it's hard.  I did take some time last night to read Diane Ravitch's new book The Death and Life of the Great American School System.  I haven't gotten too far, but I'm enjoying it.  For those of you who have never heard of her, here's an interview that she gave Jon Stewart.

(OK, I tried for five minuted to embed the video, and I just couldn't get it to work, so here's the link instead.  Enjoy! http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-3-2011/diane-ravitch)

Once I finish the book, I'll definitely post my thoughts.  I agree with her in a lot of things, but there are a couple of questions I have about some of her ideas.

Anyway, I better go and cut hair.  Easter is coming up soon, and we all need to look nice!

No comments: