Thursday, July 16, 2009

What is a Red Letter Christian?

Okay, before I start, this is a REALLY long post, and I didn't even say everything I wanted to. But most of it can be condensed into three words: READ THIS BOOK!
I just finished the book Red Letter Christians by Tony Campolo. To say that it challenges you would be too trite. What it does is look at the politics and culture of America through the red letters of Jesus. To be honest, after every chapter, I had to stop and think about what I believed and ask myself whether it lined up with the teachings of Jesus. I'll admit, I am a product of my upbringing when it comes to social issues. That's not to say that my parents didn't teach me to care for others. They did. But, I grew up in a middle class household, in a middle class town where I went to a middle class school and hung out with my middle class youth group. While I heard about people in need, I never really came "face to face" with them, so to speak. However, here in Atlanta, I see, almost everyday, people who break the heart of Jesus. Atlanta is the center of child sex trafficking. In 2004 almost 12% of people lived in poverty. I'm sure that number is dramatically higher now since the unemployment rate here in Georgia has reached 10.1%. In addition, I teach in a school where over 50% of our students are on free or reduced lunch. According to the federal government, my school is considered high-poverty. It has caused me to change many of my own beliefs of what a Christian should be.
What does a Red Letter Christian look like? Well it is someone
who espouses an evangelical theology, but who rejects being classified as part
of the Religious Right. We don't want to make Jesus into a Republican. On the other hand, we want to say it loud and clear that we don't want to make Jesus into a Democrat either. (pg 17)
I'll be honest. The beliefs in this book will make people angry. They are not what we hear from religious radio, and they're certainly not what "mainstream" religious leaders are saying on Fox News. Campolo admits that.
The message in those red letter is radical, to say the least. If you don't believe me, just read Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount, found in Matthew 5-7. In the red letters of this sermon, Jesus calls us to an "upside-down Kingdom," far away from the dominant values of the modern American consciousness. For instance, Jesus tells us that we cannot be sucked into a system that seeks life meaning and satisfaction in materialism and self-gratification while still claiming to serve God. Furthermore, he
challenges many of the social policies that too many Evangelicals fail to question. Consider the fact that he calls us to be merciful (see Matt. 5:7), which has strong implications for how we should think about capital punishment-and since Jesus tell us to love our enemies, we probably shouldn't consider it an option (see Matt. 5:44). These words should cause us to examine our attitudes about war, as well. Most important, when we reflect on all Jesus had to say about caring for the poor and oppresses, committing ourselves to His red-letter message just might drive us to see what we can do politically to help those He called "the least of these" (see Matt. 25:31-46). (pg 22)
This book touches on the global issues of the environment, the War, Palestine, and AIDS. In every chapter, it challenges the mainstream Evangelical beliefs. Are Christians supposed to be the caretakers of the creation God has given us? Is the War in Iraq a just war, and how has it affected the Iraqi Christians who are now terrorized by al-Qaeda? Is support for Israel a Biblical belief, and how do Christians reach out to the 15% of Arabs that are Christian? Do we lump them into the "all Palestinians are terrorists" group? How should the Church respond to those who are suffering from AIDS, especially those in third world countries who cannot afford the medicine they need to survive?
It also hits on the hot button issues of today. He discusses gay rights and gay marriage. He believes that government should get entirely out of the business of marriage and only offer civil unions. Marriage should strictly be a religious institution. I don't know how I feel about that. I am firmly opposed to gay marriage, but some of the issues he brings up have caused me to do some serious thinking. He also discusses gun control and education (a topic near and dear to my heart). In both of those issues, what we need to look at is how to help those who cannot help themselves. Every day, 8 children are killed with a gun. How can we, as Christians, stand opposed to control these deadly weapons? In the same way, why is ensuring that our children learn in the safest of environments not important to us? I do disagree with his assessment of NCLB. I feel that it has harmed our schools in numerous ways. He also talks about abortion and reaching out to those who find themselves in a crisis pregnancy. He also covers immigration and crime, including capital punishment.
Finally, he talks politics. What should we expect from those who lead us? Where do special interests come in? How should we, as a nation, view the Federal Budget? Is the fact that we have record deficits be a concern for Christians? (In his view, absolutely) The book is almost prophetic as it talks about how our borrow and spend approach to life will someday come back to haunt us. (This book was written in 2007 when unemployment was at approximately 4.5%)
One point he talks about in-depth is health care, a topic that is something that we are definitely hearing alot about today.
Today (2007), nearly 47 million American, 8.3 million of them children, are without medical insurance. These uninsured people are hardworking Americans who face financial ruin if they, or any member of their families, are hit with a catastrophic medical emergency. That we as Christians [do] not support. . .a plan that would provide health coverage for every man, woman and child in this country should be viewed as far more than an embarrassing failure of the Church.
Those who declare that they are pro-life are hypocritical if they do not recognize how providing universal health coverage for the working poor is a pro-life issue. It would be one thing if the rest of the Christian community were like the Amish and chipped in to pay the hospital bills for those who lack health insurance. But we don't! Instead, we stand by the sidelines, shake our heads and say 'Isn't that a shame?' (pg 190)
(bolding mine)
Where did this book leave me? Realizing that I need to view the world through the eyes of Jesus. I see so many people saying "I'm a Christian, but I don't want my money to pay for other people's problems." According to Jesus, other people's problems are ours to take care of! In Matthew 25, Jesus commands us to take care of the poor, the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger needing clothes, and the one in prison. So what am I going to start doing? Dumping the self-righteous attitude that says "God helps those who helps themselves" and looking at those who are suffering with eyes of mercy. I'm lucky. In just three weeks, I'm going to be standing in front of 20 kids who all need to see Jesus' love. Many of them will come from homes I couldn't even begin to imagine. My prayer is that instead of being frustrated by the fact that they don't have their supplies, and their homework's not done, and they're always late, I will instead ask how I can be Jesus to them. How can I be a Red Letter Christian?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written, Carrie. I am reading this while in the Dominican. Today wew visit the batays (shanty towns)where the government gives no aide. The people are mostly Haitian and are not considered citizens. The ironic part of this is that they have been in the DR for generations are are still the outcast. PTL for Childen of the Nations - the organization is providing teachers (in the seminars) in the Batay schools