Saturday, July 18, 2009

Too Many Books!

Ask anyone who knows me (and especially people who knew me when I was a kid), and they will tell you my absolute favorite thing to do is read. I literally do not remember a time when I wasn't reading. I know that by the time I was in first grade, I was reading Little House in the Big Woods. I have more books in my house than I have bookshelves for, and we could have gone on three or four vacations with the money I've spent on books since we've been married.

Well, God knew what he was doing when he brought us here to Gwinnett County. The library system here was named best in the country a few years ago. What I love about is that it's a county-wide system. As long as I live anywhere in the county, I can go to any branch in the county. Plus, the entire catalog is online, so if I find a book I like, I can place a hold on it online. It's fantastic.

The only problem? Actually, there are a couple. One, I always forget to return the books, so I'm pretty much keeping the entire library system afloat with my fines. Two, I get too many books! Right now, I have three that I'm in the middle of reading. I started A New Kind of Conservative earlier this week. Then, I got World Without End by Ken Follett from my hold list. Finally, today, the library sent me a notice that three other books I had put on hold were ready. So now I'm reading The Other Boleyn Girl. My problem is that I worse than a little kid about books. As soon as I get a book from the library, I want to read it right away! So, I have three books floating through the house, laying on the arm of the couch, or the firplace mantle, or on the floor beside my bed. No wonder I can never find them when they're due.

No comments: