Monday, August 13, 2007

First Day of School!

We are a family of school kids now! Matthew started his first day of kindergarten today. Here's a picture of him in his classroom.

Nathan started Pre - K as well. He's going to the same school that Matthew did last year. Here he is with his backpack that's almost as he is!

We had to start early this morning! I got Matthew up at about 6:30. He was sound asleep when I went into his room, but he got right up and got started. I'm sure in a month it won't be so easy! Nathan was a little harder to get up. I went into his room and called his name a few times. He cracked an eyelid at me, and I said, "Do you want to get up?" He takes one look at me and croaks, "No." I told him it was Pre - K day, since we've only been counting down to that since the first day of August, and he pulls the covers over his head and rolls over. He is definitely a night owl. If it was up to him, we'd all go to bed around midnight and wake up at 10 am. (Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea!) It must have sunk in though, because I heard him a couple of minutes later in the hallway singing, "It's Pre - K day today!"

They both had good days today. Matthew said he had fun, and he wants to go back tomorrow. He told me he had already made friends, though he was a little upset that he didn't get to go to the playground. We kept the kids in for the most part today since we were still near triple digits. It's 9:30 right now, and it's still 86 degrees outside. I told him once it cooled off a little he'd get to go outside for recess. Nathan said Pre - K was very fun. I asked him what he did today, and he said, "Played." I can imagine that was pretty fun! He also told me he had "nothing" for lunch, but since he was wearing most of it, I think it was spaghetti. He did take a nap, since he's still in his bed talking to himself. He always has a hard time falling asleep if he's slept at all during the day. Hopefully, he'll adjust soon.

My class was a little more interesting. I tell myself every year that I need to remember that the group I'm getting is a year behind the group that left me in May. This year, though, is even harder. They seem more immature than the class I had last year, and things that I expected them to know did not seem to come so easily. It's going to take a lot of work just to get them to learn the procedures and the ways I run my class. I'm especially careful this fall, since I want to make sure that the kids are confident in how I run a class before I hand it off to a sub for two months. Lots and lots of review over the next week!

No comments: