Monday, September 24, 2007

So What That It's Been a Month?

Well, Ruth e-mailed me today complaining that she checked my blog and there was nothing new. Unfortuntely, there really isn't too much new in our lives. The boys are both adjusting well to school. Even Matthew appears to have kindergarten figured out by now. Friday, one of the papers he brought home was a puzzle of a face. He had to cut out the eyes, nose, and mouth, and place them in the correct spot on the face. Then, he colored it. What I found really interesting is that he colored the face brown. Of course, if you've ever met his cousins you know why. Here's a picture of him with his cousins Sam and Katy.
Plus, his elementary school is between 75 - 80% African-American. Brown faces are just normal to him. I really like that, though. He's only commented once about the fact that his cousins have dark faces, and then it's never been an issue. He just assumes that some faces are brown and some are white and that's the way God's made people.

I did just finish a really great book called Raising the Spirited Child. The author's definition of a Spirited Child is one who is more, more sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and intense. Sounds like someone I know, right? It has given me a lot of insight into why Nathan acts the way he does. So I've done the easy part. Now, the hard part is putting her ideas into practice!

No comments: